I am excited about the new gaiter prototype I have been testing since receiving it in September. It is bomber.
The fabric is better than I expected, durable and darn quiet for a 3-layer shell fabric. Plus, it is a Toray Primflex fabric which will save weight because of their patented spiral yarn.
As I mentioned in my 1st gaiter post, I want to design and build the best sheep hunting gaiter on the market. I have used the OR Crocodile and Black Diamond Front Point Gaiter in the past with good results. In my opinion each design has it’s short comings.
My goal is to take what I have learned from these products over the years to create a design that excels for demanding mountain hunting. Reliability, durability and function are paramount.
I want to share a sneak preview of the new design and list some of the changes I am sending off to the development room to get your feedback and opinions.
- Reduce the width by 2 inches to give it a more streamlined fit.
- Shape the lower seam for a better fit over the boot.
- Move the lace clip to the inside of the gaiter versus on top. Needs reenforcement.
- Move the strap adjustment buckle hypalon tab to the inside of the gaiter and add 3 additional bar tacks.
- Add an elastic section to the webbing going around the upper calf for a more comfortable fit.
- Change nylon webbing loop to hypalon for added durability.
- Add silicone gasget to inside bottom to help create a seal for water crossings. 1″ in width.
They will be available in Vias Camouflage and a solid color.
If you are interested in guaranteeing yourself a set of these new KUIU Gaiters please click on the link below to reserve a set when they arrive in late spring. There is no obligation. Please note Gaiter Pre-order in the notes.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts, opinions and ideas for additional changes and improvements to this design. Please let me know your recommendation for a solid color for the gaiters and what we should name them.
Thank you in advance for your help.